Gator Swim Team
Swim team sign-up is in early May... returning families should receive an email on/about May 1. Sign-up open to new families on/about May 7. Watch the Gator Swim Team website at the above link for more info. An email announcement for 2013 signup will be sent to current swim team members. For further information or questions: email@example.com
The VAC Gator Swim Team is a fun and popular activity for 7-18 year-old swimmers. For younger (5-6 year-old) kids, VAC offers "Lil' Chompers", an engaging developmental program that introduces them to the fun of swim team.
During the June/July season, practices are held on weekdays: In the afternoon while school is in session and in the morning after the school year ends (with afternoon sessions for those swimmers having morning schedule conflicts).
"A" level meets are held on Saturday morning and all swimmers participate in the "B" meets on Monday evening.
Fostered by the coaching staff, the Gators have a strong tradition of sportsmanship, teamwork, dedication, and cross-age-group interaction. All VAC swim team parents volunteer their time during meets in some way: as timers, referees, snackbar operators, marshalls, etc.
The website provides online registration (beginning approximately May 1), meet sign-up, volunteer sign-up, up-to-date calendars, swim team news and an online store (for purchasing the team suit).
The VAC Gators compete in the Northern Virginia Swimming League (NVSL) and are seeded 6th in (the very powerful) Division 1 for the 2013 season. This season the Gators compete against Chesterbrook, Overlee, Tuckahoe, McLean, and Highlands Swim. Leading the Gators for his fourth season as Head Coach is Blair Piddington. Blair has been a part of the VAC swim team since he was 5 years old. He brings a wealth of experience from the NVSL, college swimming and USS coaching to the team.
- A current (dues paid) membership for VAC is required to register a child for the VAC Swim Team. A summer lease qualifies.
- Swimmers must be 5 years old by June 1
- You (the parent) agree to be available to work at swim meets and other volunteer assignments as posted during the swim season
- Refunds: prorated, less a $25 service fee, are available until June 19. After June 19, there will be no refunds.
- While the dates for meets are set, some activities may change or be added as the season progresses. Please check the bulletin board at VAC for the most current information.
Additionally, NVSL rules state that only families of OWNERS, families of APPROVED RENTERS and families of APPROVED USERS, as defined below, shall be eligible to participate in League activities.
An APPROVED USER is one
1. whose family has the full swimming privileges of the pool,
2. who pays an annual fee for full swimming privileges which equals or exceeds the annual fee paid by a share owner family which uses the pool, and
3. whose family members residing in the household do not own a share of another pool in the League. All three of these conditions shall be met except that waivers to condition (3) may be granted under unusual circumstances by the League Rules Committee. Written application for a waiver shall be submitted at least one week prior to competition to the President of the League.
4. Swimmers who have individual swimming privileges rather than family swimming privileges shall not be eligible to compete under the APPROVED USER category